As the demand to work remotely skyrockets due to the evolving COVID-19 situation around the globe, businesses are struggling to keep pace with extending remote access for employees while maintaining high levels of security, productivity and quality.. .
The traditional applications and infrastructure used by most businesses are proving to be a hindrance as there are the complex tasks of checking compatibility in the cloud, augmenting existing applications to function in the cloud, and optimizing each application both individually, and as part of a holistic network.
Trianz realizes how complicated a digital transformation can be for established businesses. The pre-existing infrastructure and software you use, need to be translated to operate remotely without any compromise in quality. Our remote workplace consulting services are designed to enable your employees to be creative and productive, irrespective of location.
Building the remote workplace
It can be challenging to decide where to start when looking to digitalize your IT operations. Enterprise IT networks are interwoven with numerous dependencies and integrations that complicate the digitalization process.
- Stakeholder buy-in – Before your digital transformation can even begin, you need the support of key stakeholders across the business. This means you will need to convey the benefits of a digital transformation fully in order to get CXOs on-board. Each department has budgetary constraints and technological requirements, requiring you to develop a holistic, business-wide digital transformation plan to get the project off the ground.
- Service continuity - Any business-critical applications will still need to run during the digital transformation, and any ingested data needs to be consistent after digitalization is complete. This poses a risk of data loss during this interim period when the two systems diverge from using a single source of the truth (SSOT). Your plan will need to implement safeguards that guarantee the retention of data, before and after digitalization is complete.
- Enterprise data - Furthermore, enterprises may not have a SSOT. Many businesses have multiple databases for individual applications, which can further complicate the process of digital transformation. This data will need to be standardized, cleaned and shifted, without sacrificing its validity or integrity.
- Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) – Many businesses use on-prem VDI solutions for their staff. This allows employees to work from any location with an internet connection, which is excellent for telecommuting scenarios. With the optimal latency and bandwidth of on-prem VDI, it can be difficult to justify using the cloud. Most major cloud platforms offer Desktop-as-a-Service (DaaS), using server hardware close to your geographical location. This helps to minimize latency and comes with the benefit of lower operating costs thanks to the economical nature of the cloud.
- Security – Security has utmost significance while setting up an effective remote workplace environment. Additional steps to secure the data and access including; encrypting data while at rest, implementing multi-factor authentication and controlled access to critical corporate applications
- Self-service functionality - As your business grows and the workforce expands, your IT department will need assistance to reduce their workloads. You can empower internal and external service users with self-service capabilities. By automatically provisioning software and automating password reset requests, you can reduce IT workloads and improve productivity across the business.